August 12, 2010

My Baby Shot Me Down

I sometimes wonder if the firearm would have such a key position in American iconography if Hollywood hadn't kept it there. Sure, we've got the right to own them, but would we want them so badly if, after the settling of the last frontier/slaughter of the last rebellious Indian, John Wayne and Clint Eastwood hadn't convinced us they were an integral part of the national machismo?

The action figure, collaborators Steven Santos, Aaron Aradillas and Matt Zoller Seitz contend, turns to the gun in three stages. Their video essay "Lock & Load" explores these three stages, then ends with a bang. No dry-firing here, and no dud rounds either.

3 comments:

Patrick said...

Wow. Excellent video. I'm already critical of the way violence and the military are glorified in oh so many movies, but this made me realize just how fetishized the gun is.

P said...

Also, since I am not a fan of the comics, please tell me whether Scott Pilgrim is actually good or just some hipster shit. I mean the film, I know the comic is hipster shit.

Psycho Savage said...

I fucking hate guns. If I want to beat someone up or stab them for money, I should be able to without them being able to do shit about it. Might makes right, if you're weak you get preyed on by the strong that should be all there is to it. Fuck guns.